What is the lymphatic system and lymphatic drainage?
The lymphatic system is an extensive drainage network comprising of lymphoid organs, ducts, tissues, capillaries and vessels. They are located deep inside the body, such as around the lungs and heart, or closer to the surface, such as under the arm or groin.
Since the lymph system must be pumped by the movement of our muscles, the less we move, the more stagnant our lymph system becomes. With today’s sedentary lifestyle, pollution, diets low in nutrients and high in fats, sugars, additives, preservatives and, because most of us fail to drink enough pure water to assist our body to eliminate toxins, our lymphatic system becomes overloaded, congested and clogged. Fatigue, stress, infection, emotional shock, lack of physical activity or dehydration may also stagnate the flow of lymph. Consequently, as toxins accumulate, cells are unable to function properly resulting in various metabolic and infectious problems.
What is our body’s lymphatic system responsible for?
- Maintain a healthy immune system via surveillance (hence, especially important for cancer patients)
- Clearing toxins from the body
- Maintain the balance of our bodily fluid by returning fluid to the heart
We can imagine lymphatic congestion as basically a “choked sink” at the cellular level. When this occurs, nutrients may not be able to enter cells efficiently and cellular detox decrease, resulting in poorer cellular health. Over time, disease can develop because the nutrients you are providing to your body (either through diet or supplements) cannot be properly delivered to the cells and the toxins cannot be effectively removed due to this congestion.
How Does Electro-Lymphatic Therapy (ELT) work to improve our lymphatic system?
Electro-Lymphatic Therapy (ELT) is a gentle touch, non-invasive technique which helps stimulate the proper flow and drainage of the Lymphatic system. A combination of vibrational, light and electrical waves help to stimulate the flow by dissociation of proteins that have been trapped in the interstitium. Although the surface technique is patterned after manual lymphatic drainage, ELT can stimulate the lymph at a greater depth and in much less time. It is relaxing, pain-free, and excellent for enhanced personal wellness.
Successful testimonials from patients:
Who Benefits from Electro-Lymphatic Therapy (ELT)?
Since lymphatic organs play an important role in the immune system, the proper flow of the lymphatic fluid can positively impact many conditions faced by our clients. Over more than 15 years, ELT has been used in the USA to those struggling with a multitude of conditions including:
- Chronic – Cardiovascular Disease or Diabetes
- Auto-Immune conditions – Fibromyalgia, Lupus, Eczema etc
- General Inflammation, Lymphedema, Edema and Water Retention
- Chronic Infection such as Lyme, Mononucleosis, Epstein-Barr, Lymes etc.
- Post Cosmetic Surgery – healing time
- Cosmetic enhancement by fluid deposit reductions
- Pre and Post Athletic Application – decrease muscle/tendon strain and healing time
- Enlarged Prostate
- General detox and cleansing
- Applications to relevant animal conditions
Not suitable for patients with these conditions:
Pregnancy, Pacemaker, Recent Organ Transplant, Kidney Failure
Hannie Hong (Oriental Remedies Group, Singapore), a registered therapist certified by the Lymphology Association of Asia, with contribution from wellness blogger Eatprayflying.com, Beatrice Liu
For more scientific understanding, please read:
1) Lymphology Association of Asia
2) A detailed article on the lymphatic system and benefits of a decongested lymphatic drainage, written by Senior Therapist. Ms. Ang Wei Ling
For user experience, please read up on:
1) Lymphology Association of Asia – First-timer’s Guide to ELT
2) Singapore’s top natural resource – Eatprayflying’s experience about her mum using ELT as a cancer support protocol, as well as her own experience after doing 30 sessions of ELT.
Disclaimer: The information on this page is for information and educational purposes only. Such medical information may relate to disease, injury, drugs and other treatments, medical devices and/or health products. Medical information does not amount to advice, and if advice is needed an appropriate professional help should be sought. The disclaimer asserts that no warranties or representations are given in respect of the medical information, and that the website operator should not be held liable if a user suffers any injury or loss after relying upon the medical information.