We understand that a cancer diagnosis for you or your loved one can be a distressing and emotional time for you and your family. In this article, we will explain how Oriental Remedies Group can help improve the quality of life for the patient during this tumultuous period, by providing cancer support via Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and Technology-Enhanced Therapies, along your route to recovery.
In recent years, there is a trend of cancer patients turning to TCM as a form of cancer support. In our clinic, we see an increasing number of patients who suffer from side effects of chemotherapy drugs or radiation therapy, and they are seeking complementary TCM therapies to reduce the side effects and alleviate symptoms such as pain management.
Many clinical studies have shown that TCM is effective in supporting treatments against breast, gastric and lung cancer. An example from one of the researches shows that when TCM is used as a complementary therapy combined with conventional chemotherapy, patients increased the survival rate, had a better response to chemotherapy and experienced reduced side effects, including vomiting and the decline of red blood cells.
TCM can improve the effects of radiotherapy and chemotherapy in fighting cancer, guided by therapeutic principles of tonifying Qi and producing Blood, strengthening the Spleen and Stomach, nourishing the Liver and Kidney, and removing Heat or inflammation from Blood and toxic material from the body. It is also imperative for cancer patients to maintain a healthy lifestyle and a balanced diet for body system to function optimally while/after undergoing treatments. Here are some strategies on How To Eat Right During and After Chemotherapy/Radiotherapy.
For advanced cancer patients, elderly patients, or in those for whom radiotherapy and chemotherapy are unsuitable, TCM plays a strong role. Research shows that TCM can stabilize tumor lesions, improve symptoms, enhance the quality of life, and prolong survival time. In view of preventive treatment before disease onset, TCM applied at an early stage can reduce the incidence of cancer. In a research on esophageal cancer, it is found that the incidence rate of precancerous lesions in the TCM treatment group was lower than that of the control group.
Perhaps, TCM has always been a puzzling subject to you with concepts and terms that are challenging to grasp (like the above paragraph!). However, there is increasing research which can put names of Western medical conditions to a diagnosis made in TCM. In this article, we hope to demystify TCM and help you gain better knowledge and awareness so that you can make an informed decision with regard to the use of TCM treatments in your recovery.
What exactly is cancer?
According to the Singapore Cancer Society, cancer is a term that refers to a group of diseases, all of which are characterised by abnormal cell growth. When the normal regulated process of cell division and growth malfunctions, the cells will grow and divide uncontrollably. As they continue to grow and multiply, they may amass to form tumours.
There are two kinds of tumours; benign and malignant. The former is a tumour that continues to grow and divide in the same place, without spreading to other parts of the body. On the other hand, when the tumour spreads and invades into other parts of the body via metastasis, it is a life-threatening tumour known as malignant tumours.
What causes cancer from a TCM perspective?
1) Weak immunity
- Qi has a defensive mechanism that protects the body, thus weaken Qi formed from poor digestive function results in weakened immunity
- Coldness restricts the flow of Qi and blood resulting in stagnation
- Stress and emotions stagnate Qi flow
2) Poor blood circulation
- It can result from coldness accumulated in the body. This could be from external environment or frequent ingestion of food of cold nature
- Weak Qi (energy) unable to encourage blood flow. Hence, many cancer patients tend to feel cold and have cold extremities.
- Blood is thick and turbid thus stagnated
3) Phlegm Dampness accumulation
- Weakened digestive function
- Excessive intake of food of cold nature or oily/greasy
- Exposure to cold environments weakens Spleen’s ability to transform food into nutritive essence, thereby reducing the formation of Qi and blood.
- Poor bowel movement results in the accumulation of toxins
4) Exposure to dampness from the environment
- Environmental toxins
- Exposure of damp and cold environment
The mechanism of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) in cancer treatment. Source: NCBI
How does TCM support cancer recovery?
The treatment of cancer is viewed holistically in TCM, with a systematic approach being taken to treat and improve the condition of the body. The physician customises a treatment suited to the patient, based on the identified root cause(s).
To meet the growing demand of patients seeking TCM treatments during their conventional cancer treatments, Beijing University of Chinese Medicine has partnerships with foreign academic institutions in TCM research focusing on cancer, to transform TCM from an experience-based practice to evidence-based medicines through innovation and differentiation. We look forward to more innovation and research to even better support your recovery!
How we help cancer patients here at Oriental Remedies Group?
Here at Oriental Remedies Group, we aim to provide our patients with quality integrative healthcare to help empower every single one of you to #BeTheBestYouCanBe. Even when you are undergoing conventional cancer treatments, you can still work on improving your quality of life!
We use a combination of Traditional Chinese Medicine Treatments and Technology-Enhanced Therapies to boost the immune system and strengthen and nourish the body. Highlighting a few key therapies:
- Acupuncture utilises very fine needles placed at different parts of the body to help regulate, realign and improve the condition of the body and its organs.
- Acupuncture treatments are focused on improving the patients’ quality of life.
- Cancer patients report the below benefits:
- Strengthened immune system
- More energy and reduced lethargy
- Reduced cancer treatment side effects
- Reduced anxiety
- Helps to recuperate the body, replenish the Qi and energy, nourishing the body so that it can fight the cancer cells
- Some herbal medication are supported by research to help suppress the growth and spread of cancer in the body
- Electro-Lymphatic Drainage Therapy (ELT) is a gentle and non-invasive therapy that helps to stimulate proper flow and drainage of the lymphatic system, simulating the effects of a lymphatic drainage massage or tuina without the pain and pressure. ELT is performed using an FDA-registered wellness device to boost your overall wellness.
- It improves the function of the lymphatic system which is closely linked to ‘San Jiao’ in TCM
- Cancer patients report better well-being:
- Strengthened immunity
- Reduced pain, aches and inflammation
- Reduce water retention and lymphedema (especially for cancer patients who have gone through lymph node removals)
- Better sleep and mobility
Is TCM for every cancer patient?
Yes! TCM Physicians work alongside major hospitals in Singapore like Tan Tock Seng Hospital to provide care to patients with all sorts of conditions, not just cancer.
However, it is important to seek professional consultation from certified Physicians as some patients may be allergic to certain herbs, or certain herbs are not suitable when patients are undergoing chemotherapy. It is important that patients get clarity from their primary care conventional oncologists on any contraindications so the supporting TCM Physicians will be able to match the herbs more effectively.
Your healing is the most important!
At Oriental Remedies Group, we have more than 10 certified bi-lingual TCM Physicians. Each of them has been trained in both Nanyang Technological University (Singapore) and China for a minimum of 5-8 years, in both Biomedical Science and TCM before being certified to practice in Singapore. Most of our Senior Physicians work with many cancer patients and are constantly upgrading their knowledge to serve you better.
By combining Traditional Chinese Medicine therapies and expertise with Technology-Enhanced Therapies, we strive to provide the best care possible in your journey with us.
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed, we would like to help. Please contact us at +65 8142 2163 for a personalized consultation.
The information on this page is for information and educational purposes only. Such medical information may relate to disease, injury, drugs and other treatments, medical devices and/or health products. Medical information does not amount to advice, and if advice is needed an appropriate professional help should be sought. The disclaimer asserts that no warranties or representations are given in respect of the medical information, and that the website operator should not be held liable if a user suffers any injury or loss after relying upon the medical information.
Electro-Lymphatic Therapy using LymphDrainage XP-II is intended for use only for general well-being purposes or to encourage or to maintain a healthy lifestyle, and is not intended to be used for any medical purposes (such as detection, diagnosis, monitoring, management or treatment of any medical condition or disease). Any health-related information provided by this device should not be treated as medical advice. Please consult a physician for any medical advice required.